I’m not one for doing tricks on people on this day, especially since this is also my sister’s birthday. (HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEN!!!) But I did want to make something fun for my kids. They don’t enjoy the sight of sushi, at least, not yet. So I made them a batch of mock sushi for them. (Such a nice Mom I am. ha!) It’s made entirely of sweets, so I don’t think they will have a problem eating these.
The roll itself is made of rice krispy treats, the middle is a gummy worm and the wrap is a fruit rollup. The flower? Yea, that’s a Starburst heated up in the microwave and then shaped.
I can’t take credit for the recipe, that goes to Family Fun by Disney. Also, I should tell you that the amount of ingredients they supply, shown below, is not what I would recommend. I just bought a few gummy worms in the bulk candy department. Less to purchase and then you’re not making boatloads of the sushi. But the amount is great for a kids party!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal
- 20 to 25 gummy worms
- 1 to 2 boxes of fruit leather
- 12- by 17-inch baking sheet
- 2-quart saucepan
- Grease a 12- by 17-inch baking pan.
- Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until smooth.
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in the rice cereal until it’s evenly coated.
- Turn the baking sheet so that the shorter ends are at the top and bottom. Then press the marshmallow mixture on the sheet, distributing it evenly.
- Starting at one side and 1 inch up from the lower edge, place gummy worms atop the mixture end to end in a horizontal line.
- Gently roll the lower edge of the marshmallow mixture over the gummy worms.
- Then stop and cut the log away from the rest of the mixture. Use the same method for 4 more logs.
- Slice each log in 1-inch-thick “sushi” rolls and wrap them individually with a strip of fruit leather.