There is nothing like starting off the day with a batch of homemade pancakes, and I can’t think of a better way to jazz them up, then by making them a gingerbread flavor. Perfect for Christmas time! Of course, I DO love chocolate chip pancakes and if you want to take this great recipe by Closet Cooking, and add some chocolate chips, I don’t see any harm in that!
Enjoy and savor this very special time of year!!
(Recipe I adapted in bold, by Closet Cooking)
1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves (I used All-Spice)
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
1 tablespoon (dark)brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses (I omitted this, but I bet it would taste great in!)
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a large bowl.
2. Mix the milk, egg, butter, sugar and molasses in another bowl.
3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients making sure to not over mix.
4. Heat a pan and melt a touch of butter in it.
5. Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and heat until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
6. Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.